Overall rating 

Story 

Acting 

Music 

Satisfaction 

neekyh Reviewed by neekyh    June 22, 2010
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

A Fair Drama with a Kitsch Romantic Flair

A fair drama with a different romantic flair can be found in Personal Taste. Park Kae In is the trusting and foolish daughter of a famous architect though she is a failure as a furniture maker. Following an emotionally tragic event Kae In sublets a room in her private home to Jeon Jin Ho, who she believes to be gay. But the reasons for Jin Ho seeking boarding are dishonest; he is only masquerading as a gay man as a means to further his own career in an architect bid.

But despite both characters' personal failings and some hilarious and upsetting circumstances Kae In and Jin Ho soon find themselves falling for each other. Whether or not they can turn their tumultuous relationship to a romantic affair is the core element of this mildly entertaining drama.

Characterization is strong and the acting believable, but the love rival for Jin Ho's affections is a stereotypical witch whom is not engaging in the least and weakened subplots by being too unbelievable and not being used effectively.

The plot itself is strong but relying too much upon Jin Ho's pretense as a gay man to carry the story. Without that added bit the drama would have been too run of the mill for most to care about checking out. But despite Jin Ho's sexual orientation being “important” it was never the strong conflict viewers would expect, and not enough funny and tragic moments resulting from it.

Execution of Personal Taste left something to be desired. Overall this drama is lacking; too many missing components or pieces weak.

But drama fiends should still check it out and see if it works as a storyline they could get involved in. While viewers may not re-watch it many times or buy it on DVD most will enjoy the first time. This drama is a bit different and may provide 16 odd hours of fair entertainment. Overall, I'd recommend someone to check Personal Taste out but I would not say it is a must watch despite the promising premise.

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.

Search

Category:    Network:    
Release Date:    Episodes:    
Genres: Keywords:   

Newly Added

Operation Proposal
User rating

10.0 (1)
ToGetHer
User rating

8.8 (1)
Answer Me 1997